Friday, May 8, 2009

One Story, Two Perspectives....

There's an old saying that goes like this: "I like stripes, she likes polka-dots."

Hmmm....interesting. Let's chew on that statement for a bit. Are stripes better than polka-dots? I don't think so. Sure, maybe I prefer stripes to polka-dots but that doesn't mean that the former is better than the latter, does it? I don't think so. It merely means that I am a human, and I have a preference.

Is it better to live in the city or the country? Well, obviously, it depends on your own preference. One isn't better than the other. It's a matter of what makes you happy. The author IBID said it best in his late memoirs when he said, "I like the city. You like the country. But you know what? We both love life."

Wow! I love IBID. He always says it like it needs to be said.

Well, I guess you're wondering what this post has to do with BFFs?

So, my BFF-Heather and I were working at our school's market day last Friday. Market day is basically a fun day for all the kids. In place of forcing the students to go to class, we set up various stations around the school (face-painting, games, snack bar, etc.) and let the kids wander around having fun and enjoying the different activities.

I was manning the games station, which was located in the gym in the south side of the school. BFF-Heather was manning the face painting station, which was located in the north side of the school. Because of the busy-ness of the day, BFF-Heather and I were unable to mingle for much of the day. We were forced to experience market day from two different locations, doing two different things. At one point, there was a brief break from the market day action, and BFF-Heather and I shared a moment consisting of eating popsicles and discussing market day. And by discussing the different activities we participated in, we were able to experience twice the amount of market day that the normal person does.

It was from this experience that our BFF relationship grew to another level. We realized that we could share the same experience, but in two different ways. We saw that two different viewpoints on the same subject don't handicap a discussion, but instead enhance it.

I like stripes. BFF-Heather likes polka-dots. I like the country. BFF-Heather likes the city.
How else do we differ?

-One Story, Two Perspectives...

2 comments:

  1. I think you should have set up some sort of demarcation line between "north" market day and "south" market day.

    You should have called Heather "KimJongFacepaint" and Zach "LeeMyoungBaller".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was considered but things at Oedae are so last minute and we couldn't get the USO involved. Everyone knows that they give the best DMZ tours.

    ReplyDelete

New England Patriots

Dallas Cowboys